Question:
I am a newbie at ordering drinks. How can I do it without sounding stupid?
H2O
2006-01-17 10:19:48 UTC
I am a newbie at ordering drinks. How can I do it without sounding stupid?
Fifteen answers:
I Know - Pick ME
2006-01-17 10:23:03 UTC
Well, ask what they recommend. Let the bartender or server know you are still testing things out and getting used to what you like. They'll be much nicer if they realize you'd just like a little advice and help. Bartenders are always happy when you give them the freedom to create. Tell them what kind of drink you are looking for (i.e. fruity but not too sweet) and let them surprise you.
tigereyedlady
2006-01-17 10:24:07 UTC
Tell the bar tender what king of drinks you like (friuty, strong, light, mixed, blended) and ask him for ideas, that you want to try something different..That should get you by without making you look like a newbie.. and you may find a new drink you adore. Happy Drinking.. remember to be safe.
Pronkville
2006-01-17 10:23:44 UTC
Just know what you're asking for and sound confident. I was nervous about ordering when I first turned 21 cause I was still used to the pressure of having a fake ID.
crazyleaves
2006-01-17 10:31:20 UTC
Rocks = Ice

Double = 2 shots

Tall = a pint glass instead of highball

generally using abbr. like say Jack and Coke, Seven and Seven. Shot o' Tukey. Pint of (BLank). Remember there is no correct way to order a drink. For instance I say "The Usual".
2006-01-17 10:24:15 UTC
If you want to sound like a seasoned pro, just check out a bartending book, it'll give you literally hundreds of drinks to choose from. Remember the names to the five that you like the most. You'll be the coolest most experienced veteran rookie at the bar. Good Luck!!
gsschulte
2006-01-17 10:29:11 UTC
well a good starter is a madori sour. very sweet and every one i know likes them. you can also order a margarita, and get it on the rocks (poured over ice not frozen). neat means warm in a glass. twist is just garnish "twist of lemon." on the rocks is over ice. double is just like it sounds but is with the same amount of mixer. double tall is when you want a double alcohol with double mixer. draft beer is drawn from the tap an not in a bottle. and well is the term for all alcohols kept in the "well" of basically a speed slot in the bar that has a varity of alcohols but the brand name may not bee what you want. top shelf is the more expensive alcohols the are displayed for customers to see and are of "better" quality. and sour just means the alcohol of choice (whiskey amaretto midori all good in my book) and sour mix. you can also get a bartenders black book and you can see what is in any drink you can commonly order and it has a glossary and a list of alcohols.
Zyada
2006-01-17 13:07:37 UTC
I say go up to the cutest bartender in the place and tell him you've never ordered a drink before. He'll be happy to help!
2006-01-17 10:33:18 UTC
just walk up to the bar or tell the waitress you want a purple hooter shooter. it'll make you feel all better so the next drink you order they will have to figure out what you are saying
janie
2006-01-17 10:23:26 UTC
ask to see the mixed drinks list before ordering then order ur fav flavor mixes or order a simple drink mix first....like crown and coke or a dacari
raidenlow
2006-01-17 10:27:22 UTC
Just order and give him your ID... oh, and NEVER ask for a dirty glass, it doesn't make you sound more macho like in the films.
caymuscab14
2006-01-17 10:54:43 UTC
Just be yourself and don't order something exotic unless you have tried it! If you do not like vodka martinis are out of the picture!!!!!!
YouWish
2006-01-17 10:24:17 UTC
Waiter - "What would you like to drink?"

Your reply - "I'll have a (whatever the name of the drink is that you want."

Waiter - "Can I see your license please?"

Your reply -
Kelsi Chaos
2006-01-17 14:02:56 UTC
lol nice zyda........just sound normal its not anything to be embarassed about after a couple times it should come natural
Archie
2006-01-17 10:22:21 UTC
just go to the owner and say can i have a pint of stella? voila you have done it
ACDixon
2006-01-17 10:31:19 UTC
Say, "I'll have water, please." Not only won't you sound stupid when you order, you won't sound stupid later when everyone else is drunk!