Question:
What is the best methods for making good coffee?
Rusty Shackleford
2010-03-06 15:25:30 UTC
I'm an aspiring coffee snob and would like to know which coffee making device is generally regarded as the best method. Some people use expresso machines, some use plungers and some use mokas. Now, I drink regular white coffee with sugar and I like a rich and full bodied flavour. Can anyone advise me?

Thank you very much.
Six answers:
Sick of trolls
2010-03-06 16:05:28 UTC
I have seven ways to make coffee and they're all good. I don't know if you can be a true snob and only drink it one way. To me that's like saying "I'm a wine snob, but only drink Chardonnay". (:

French presses and moka pots seem to be the most common (non-machine) methods for rich coffee with the press being #1. I don't know how a press pot is labor intensive; all you do is dump in coffee, add water, wait 4 minutes, and press the plunger. Turkish coffee is a bit more involved than that

My personal favorite (outside Turkish) is from my Cafetino balance brewer, but I use my moka pot more often.

I also roast my own beans & won't grind them until the water is hot.
?
2010-03-07 00:54:18 UTC
First, don't say expresso. It's espresso. :)

Many would say the "best" way to make coffee is with a plunger pot because it eliminates the paper filter taste but having fresh coffee grounds is what counts the most. Buy whole roasted coffee and grind it right before brewing and you'll see a huge improvement in taste. Roasting it yourself may be a bit more work than you're looking for, but that helps too.
MarkOffy
2010-03-07 00:17:34 UTC
Different methods suit different people and coffees. Best thing you can do is get a good burr grinder and buy freshly roasted beans - then you can make the good stuff any way you choose.
2010-03-06 23:30:33 UTC
French Press is by far the best method for coffee creation, but also the most labor intensive.
ridiculouslycurious
2010-03-06 23:31:42 UTC
i consider myself a coffee snob and if i ruled the world there would only be columbian coffee and drip coffee pots. coffee should always be finely ground, measured one level measuring tablespoon for each 6 ounces of coffee and always dripped through a paper filter.
2010-03-06 23:30:53 UTC
a kettle is very useful